Thank you to all 42 managers who have registered their teams or their interest in entering the Youth Cup and Shield this season. That’s another 14 in less than a week.
With my team Hamburg, too, that makes 43 in total. One more would make 44, of course, which would set up the possibility of having one Group Stage followed by two separate knockout competitions:
- Youth Cup comprising the top 22 teams in the Group Stage
- Youth Shield comprising the other 22 teams
Unless there’s a huge outcry in protest, this is how I propose to run it this season….
Each competition would start on 30 June with matches played for 16 consecutive weeks until the end of the season and the Finals completed on 13 October.
- All 44 teams in 11 Groups of 4
- Matches played home and away, 6 in total
- Groups seeded like last season to give weaker teams a fighting chance of qualifying and the bigger teams something to play for.
- Top two in each Group qualify for the Youth Cup
- Everyone else goes into the Youth Shield
- Best 10 Group Winners get a bye into the 2nd Knockout Round
- Leaving the remaining 12 to play in Round 1
- 6 winners from R1, plus 10 byes leaves 16 in R2
- Losers are out – not entry into the Shield
- All Rounds will be over two legs, home and away
- Same format for Cup and Shield
And update your teams if you have new signings, loans, or player ratings changes since you first registered. You can do this yourself with the Google Form – either edit your original form, or submit a new one, or PM me in game, please.